Hickeys or love bites can be uncomfortable and embarrassing to have around. This red blood bruise appears due to sucking or biting the skin. Some individuals who have very sensitive skin are prone to hickey marks and may experience the same even with a rub of harsh cloth.
However, no matter what the reasons are, people have recently been surfing the internet for Methods to remove a Hickey. Fortunately, you can remove a Hickey using Toothpaste, Concealer, and more such quick remedies.
Toothpaste is a very popular DIY that can remove Hickeys without much hassle. Toothpaste basically soothes the Hickey-affected skin portion and reduces its appearance. In addition to Toothpaste, there are several other natural remedies that can lighten the appearance of a Hickey.
However, not all types of Toothpaste and not all natural remedies have very visible results. Some of these may even make the Hickey worse and leave a bigger bruise.
Join us in this article and explore Natural ways to remove a Hickey. Moving forward, we will focus on several such methods, their effectiveness, drawbacks, and more. So, relax and start reading about Quick and Easy ways to remove Hickeys.
Remove a Hickey with Toothpaste
By now, the Toothpaste that you are using is cleaning and strengthening your teeth. However, do you know that Toothpaste isn’t just a dental care product but is effective for various other tasks?
Toothpaste is a handy product for several DIYs and home remedies, and removing Hickey is one of those. Toothpaste with ingredients like baking soda, peppermint, and Menthol can reduce the swelling and redness of a Hickey.
An ingredient like Baking Soda in Toothpaste stimulates blood circulation and thus heals the broken blood vessels under your skin. Peppermint and Menthol, at the same time, with their anti-inflammatory properties, reduce that bruising appearance.
Method to remove a Hickey with Toothpaste
- Firstly, pick a Toothpaste that contains ingredients like Peppermint, Menthol, and Baking Soda. Choose a regular white toothpaste and skip Toothpaste with ingredient lists full of whitening ingredients and harsh chemicals.
- Once you have the right Toothpaste, start by cleaning the Hickey. To do so, take a soft cloth, dip it in warm water, and gently wipe your skin where the Hickey is present.
- Now squeeze a small amount of Toothpaste on your fingertips, apply it all over the Hickey, and start massaging gently. Continue massaging for nearly 5 minutes and then leave the Toothpaste for 10 to 15 minutes. You will observe a cooling and tingling sensation due to the presence of Peppermint and Menthol. Do not panic since that is completely normal.
- Later after 10 to 15 minutes, take a warm washcloth and wipe off all the Toothpaste from your skin. Be gentle since rubbing too harshly can leave bruises behind (And you were already trying to get off one).
You may now observe that the Hickey is starting to lighten down. If required, follow the trick twice or thrice a day for better results.
Drawbacks of using Toothpaste to remove Hickeys
Minty Toothpaste is quite effective in its job of removing a hickey. However, using Toothpaste on hickeys or similar bruises can have some drawbacks as well.
Here are some disadvantages and drawbacks you should be aware of if you are planning to use Toothpaste on a Hickey:
- Toothpaste does help in removing hickeys, but it may not work very quickly. One of the major drawbacks of this DIY is that you might have to take several applications in a day or multiple days. Toothpaste isn’t definitely a hack that can come in handy while you are in a hurry.
- The effectiveness of Toothpaste for removing a Hickey depends upon the severity of the bruise. If the Hickey burse is deep, Toothpaste may not deliver any visible results.
- Using the wrong Toothpaste can cause skin irritation, itching, and redness. Specially Toothpaste with harsh chemicals can make the Hickey mark worse. Individuals with sensitive skin may suffer a range of skin problems due to the application of Toothpaste; thus, be cautious.
Natural ways to remove a Hickey (Besides Toothpaste)
If you are not comfortable using Toothpaste on your skin, there are a range of other methods you can try. These natural tricks will lighten the appearance of your Hickey without actually leaving any ill-effect behind. Here are the natural ways you need to know about:
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel or lotion on your Hickey mark and massage it gently. You can keep Aloe vera in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes before applying it for more effective results. The anti-inflammatory properties of Aloe vera will soothe your skin and heal the Hickey appearance. Note: Even though Aloe vera suits every skin type, some people may develop allergies after using this gel. Therefore before applying it directly over your Hickey mark, perform a patch test before. Also, if you are using fresh aloe vera gel, extract it from a trusted plant and not from any roadside aloe vera plant.
- Use a Warm compress, perhaps a heating pad or warm damp cloth, and it will lighten the appearance of your Hickey. Applying a warm compress for 10 to 15 minutes will increase blood circulation, heals the broken blood vessels under your skin, and reduce the appearance of the Hickey. However, be kind while choosing the amount of heat you apply to your skin.
- Or use a Cold compress. Simply take a cold, damp cloth (keep one in the refrigerator for 10 minutes), a cold spoon, or an ice cube and rub it gently on the hickey-affected area. Apply a cold compress for 10 to 15 minutes (Take breaks in between when the cold feels uncomfortable). Like warm compress, cold compress too reduces swelling and inflammation and thus lighten the appearance of a hickey.
- Using Arnica gel helps in treating bruises and hickeys alike. Take a trusted Arnica gel or lotion and apply it over your hickey mark and massage it several times a day. It will start showing effective results within no time.
- You can also apply Vitamin K cream or lotion several times over your hickey mark and see effective results. Vitamin K plays a miraculous role in treating blood clotting (the root cause of hickeys).
Top Products to cover up Hickey in 2023
If the above natural remedies didn’t help, here are some of the cosmetic products that can help your cover up the Hickey mark in a jiffy.
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Multi-Use Concealer
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Color Correcting Concealer Palette
Tattoo Concealer, 2pcs Makeup Body Birthmark Scar Spots Cover Cream
Hickey Lipstick Nothing but NUDE REFILL
All in all, Toothpaste is a popular and effective dental care product that can reduce the appearance of a Hickey. The trick, however, is to choose the right Toothpaste. But, if you are skeptical about using Toothpaste on your skin and scared of its drawbacks, simply skip it and choose natural remedies. Or, when in more doubt, consult a healthcare professional for the best advice.
Hi, This is Lyn, I suffer from dental sensitivity for a very long time. PowerToothpaste.com is where I share my views of various toothpaste brands, along with tips on how to use toothpaste and what to look for when purchasing.