Ready for a fun and exciting indoor DIY activity? Looking for some unique ideas? If yes, then try making “Slime with Toothpaste.” Once you learn how easy it is to make Slime with Toothpaste, you will wish to do it again and again. But the real question is, “How do you make Slime with Toothpaste”?
You can make Slime using your regular Toothpaste, and the task is extremely simple and affordable. Of course, Toothpaste alone cannot help you do that, but with a few more ingredients, you will end up making Slime at home. Making DIY slime is loads of fun for both kids and adults, and you cannot miss this experience. Are you ready?
Join us in this article and learn how Toothpaste can make a great base for Slime and how easy it is to work with. The process will surely be a little messy, but the end result will make it all worth it. Continue reading till the end and make sure you get the most out of this guide. So, what are you waiting for? Gather a tube of Toothpaste, and we are here to guide you more.
Step-by-Step process of making Slime with Toothpaste
Making Slime with Toothpaste is a very easy and engaging process. However, Toothpaste alone cannot do the job, so gather some additional kitchen ingredients like food color and Cornstarch. Once you have them all, here’s how you can process:
- Firstly, take a plastic or glass mixing bowl and squeeze out your regular White Toothpaste in a generous amount. Do not skimp, as you will require a lot of Toothpaste for this DIY Slime. Also, avoid using colored, striped, or textured Toothpaste.
- Now, take a tablespoon of Cornstarch, add it to the Toothpaste, and mix it using a spoon. Keep mixing until both ingredients are combined well.
- Next, take the food coloring (liquid or powder) of your choice and add a little of it to the Toothpaste- Cornstarch paste. You can mix two or more colors as well to create a different shade. Keep mixing until the color is dissolved well into the entire paste.
NOTE: If the Toothpaste- Cornstarch mixture is too thick/ hard, you can add a little water, though be mindful. Or, if the mixture is too runny, you will need to add some Cornstarch again.
- Once you observe that the Slime has reached a medium consistency, start kneading it with your hands. It will take a few minutes of effort before you end up with a smooth and stretchy slime-like dough. And with that, your DIY Slime is already. If you want your DIY Slime to stay fresh for a long make sure you store it in an airtight container. Storing it in an air-exposed box will dry the Slime within no time, wasting all your efforts.
If you are into the creative side, you can add different colors, glitters, beads, or textures to make your DIY Slime more exciting.
How do Toothpaste and Cornstarch form Slime?
Toothpaste and Cornstarch can form Slime, but how that happens is a matter of confusion.
Well, when you combine Toothpaste and Cornstarch, their physical and chemical properties react and form a slimy paste.
Ingredients like Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in toothpaste act as a surfactant. It reduces the surface tension of liquids. And when you mix it with Cornstarch, a hydrophilic substance, it breaks down the cornstarch particles. The end result is a smooth and slimy dough or your very own DIY Slime.
When you add Cornstarch to Toothpaste, it gives it a unique consistency. And as you continue kneading it with your hand, both ingredients combine to form a stretchy dough or a cohesive substance. This fun DIY is definitely a very rewarding experience and undoubtedly a satisfying one as well.
How to make Slime with Toothpaste and Shampoo?
Done with making Slime with Toothpaste and Cornstarch? Well, then try making Slime with Toothpaste and Shampoo. Here’s how you can do the same:
- Firstly, take a bowl and squeeze out a lot of regular white Toothpaste into it. Gather as much toothpaste as depending on the quantity of Slime you want to make.
- Now add a few pumps of shampoo into the same bowl, and using a spoon continue mixing both ingredients. Keep mixing until Toothpaste and shampoo have formed a consistent paste.
- Next, use your hand and knead the toothpaste and shampoo mixture until it turns into something like Slime. You might need to add more Toothpaste or shampoo if the mixture is too dry or runny. Add a little by little just to balance out the consistency.
- Later once you achieve the desired consistency, your DIY Toothpaste and shampoo slime are ready to play with.
TIP: Instead of Shampoo, you can also use Hand Sanitizer to make your DIY Slime.
When we combine Toothpaste and shampoo, they create a polymer giving the mixture a unique slimy texture. Ingredients like sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium fluoride, and glycerin in both Toothpaste and shampoo combine together and form long chains of molecules.
As you continue mixing and kneading them both, the pressure of your hand breaks up any clumps and makes them slimy. The more you will knead, the more this mixture will become stretchy and pliable.
However, the Slime you make by combining Toothpaste and Shampoo may not be most stable and very long-lasting as with other ingredients.
List of ingredients you can mix with Toothpaste to form Slime
Toothpaste alone cannot help you with DIY Slime, but it a range of ingredients definitely can. Once you know the hack, there’s no looking back on those supermarket shelves for that expensive slime boxes. And you are also in for some fun DIY at home with your kids.
Here is a range of ingredients you can mix with Toothpaste to form slime:
Take 2:1 Toothpaste and Cornstarch, mix them together, knead them, and form a smooth and stretchy slime.
Take 1:1 Toothpaste and shampoo and mix + knead them together to get that slimy dough.
Take 2:1 Toothpaste and salt, mix, and knead them until your end up with your homemade Slime. However, remember this DIY will end up with a grainy slime since salt won’t dissolve.
- Baking soda
Take 1:1 Toothpaste and baking soda in a bowl, give them a good mix, knead for a few minutes, and your stretchy and fluffy Slime is ready.
- Body wash or Hand Sanitizer
Take 1:1 Toothpaste and body wash, knead them together, and you will end up with a slimy texture dough.
Take 1:1 Toothpaste and glue, knead them well, and you will end up with gooey, stretchy slime.
PLEASE NOTE: While making DIY Slime, experiment with different ratios of ingredients to get the desired consistency.
How long does DIY Toothpaste Slime stay fresh?
How long will the DIY Toothpaste Slime with stay fresh depends upon two factors: How you store it and what ingredients you have used.
The shelf life of DIY Toothpaste is generally a few days to a week. After that, it will either dry out or start molding. However, with the tips given below, you can increase the shelf life of your DIY toothpaste slime:
- Always store the DIY Toothpaste slime or even ready-made Slime in an airtight container. Remember, exposure to air can dry out the Slime, making it hard. Make sure the container’s seal is tightly closed, and you aren’t opening it multiple times. Not only will it dry the Slime, but make also expose it to bacteria.
- Keep on checking the Slime for signs of spoilage, as the ingredients you may use will tend to go bad soon. If your DIY Slime has an unpleasant odor, has a weird texture, or its color is starting to change, discard it. Touching or playing with spoiled Slime can make you develop skin allergies.
- For long-lasting freshness, store your DIY Slime in an airtight container inside a refrigerator.
Though since making Slime with Toothpaste is very easy, it is best to use it within a few days. Next week when you feel like playing with more, it will take just a few minutes to form a new batch of Slime.
Overall, the process of making Slime with Toothpaste and other ingredients at home is extremely easy. All you need to do is, keep the ratio right and follow the steps carefully, and you are good to go.
Hi, This is Lyn, I suffer from dental sensitivity for a very long time. PowerToothpaste.com is where I share my views of various toothpaste brands, along with tips on how to use toothpaste and what to look for when purchasing.