For quite a few years now, Solar lights have become an integral part of the outdoor lighting setup of our homes. This popular and affordable lighting system adds ambiance and lights up your outdoor spaces without adding up to the electricity bill. However, because they are outdoors, it is obvious that Solar lights to get dirty very soon. And as a downside, their effectiveness tends to reduce when Solar lights get dirty. However, you can always clean your Solar lights and make sure that they work to their full potential for a long time. While there can be various methods for the same, Toothpaste is unexpectedly one of them.
Toothpaste (yes, you read that right) has been gaining popularity for years as an unexpected solution for many common problems. In fact, using Toothpaste is an effective and low-cost method to clean dirty Solar lights. The abrasiveness of Toothpaste actually removes dirt and grime, restoring the brightness and lifespan of the Solar light. In fact, Toothpaste also removes oxidation from the surface of your solar lights. And while all that’s effective, using Toothpaste on Solar light does no major damage. Additionally, since Toothpaste is readily available in most households, it is a solution most of them want to go with.
Well, that was just the outline, but down below, we have a step-by-step guide on how to clean your solar lights with Toothpaste. Make sure you read the entire guide to get the most out of it. Whether you’re a seasoned DIYer or a newbie, this article is definitely for you.
Cleaning Solar Lights with Toothpaste| Step-by-Step Guide
Cleaning your solar lights with Toothpaste is a quick and easy process. Here are some simple steps that you will need to follow:
- Before you begin, gather a tube of regular white Toothpaste, a small bowl of warm water, and a soft cloth or sponge.
- Now that you have gathered all the necessities, here’s how to start.
- Firstly, remove the Solar Light from its fixture. Follow it by detaching the solar panel from the light.
- Now take a small amount of regular white Toothpaste and spread it onto the solar panel. You can use your finger or the soft sponge for the same. However, do not apply pressure while doing so, or you will end up damaging the Solar Light.
- Using the same soft sponge, continue buffing the Solar light in a circular motion. Allow the abrasiveness of Toothpaste to scrub away any dirt, grime, or stains until the panel looks clean.
- Once you think the Solar panel is clean, rinse it thoroughly with warm water. Follow it by drying it using a soft cloth.
- As the panel is completely dry (ensure that), you can now reassemble the Solar light and place it back into the fixture.
Tips to Maintain Clean Solar Lights
Cleaning the Solar Light isn’t enough alone you need to maintain its cleanliness as well for longevity and effectiveness. Here’s how you can do the same:
- Clean your solar lights with Toothpaste, a cleaning solution, or other DIY regularly. Doing so is important to prevent the buildup of dirt and grime.
- Always remove leaves, sticks, or other debris accumulated over the Solar panel.
- Regularly check your Solar light and panel for any damage or signs of wear and tear.
- Replace the batteries every 1 to 2 years, and it will help your Solar panel work effectively for a long.
- Clear the Solar Panel of any obstructions that can block the sunlight.
- Use quality cleaning products and materials whenever you clean the Solar Panel. Make sure you do not use anything that can damage the Solar Panel.
- Do not open the internal part of the Solar Panel while cleaning.
Benefits of Cleaning Solar Lights with Toothpaste
Using Toothpaste for cleaning Solar Lights have a range of benefits. Here are a few to name that make it a popular and effective cleaning method:
- Toothpaste is readily available and is a low-cost cleaning product. Since you will always have one in your bathroom, you do not need to invest a penny separately for cleaning purposes. And the best part is, for cleaning Solar lights, you do not need a large amount of Toothpaste, and even a little can do the job well.
- The mild abrasive properties in Toothpaste can help to gently scrub away dirt and grime from solar lights. The abrasiveness of Toothpaste isn’t generally damaging for solar lights.
- Toothpaste is effective in removing tough stains. It, in fact, leaves the Solar light looking as clean as new.
- Regularly cleaning solar lights with Toothpaste can improve their longevity.
- Using Toothpaste for cleaning Solar Light is a mess-free and less time-consuming process.
Common Mistakes to Avoid While Cleaning Solar Lights with Toothpaste
While using Toothpaste to clean Solar Lights can be effective, there are some common mistakes that you may end up. Make sure you stay away from these common mistakes for the longevity of your Solar lights:
- Never use gel-based Toothpaste for cleaning Solar light since it doesn’t contain any abrasives. While you will use it for cleaning, it may show no effectiveness.
- Do not use too much pressure while cleaning Solar light with Toothpaste as it can cause scratches or damage to the delicate surface of the light/ panel. Always use a light touch to ensure the safety of the Solar product.
- Rinse off the Toothpaste thoroughly since the residue it leaves can attract more dirt and reduce its effectiveness. Use warm water to rinse Toothpaste effectively.
- Do not clean the Solar Light too frequently, as it can cause more damage than good. Over-cleaning can wear down the surface of the solar light as well.
Alternative Methods for Cleaning Solar Lights
In addition to Toothpaste, here are some alternative methods for cleaning Solar lights.
- Baking soda: Take half a bowl of water and mix 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda in it. Using a soft sponge, apply the paste to the solar panel gently in a circular motion. Later rinse it with warm water and dry it well.
- White vinegar: In a glass bowl, mix equal parts of white vinegar and water. Now take a soft cotton cloth, dip it into the mixture, and use it to wipe down the solar panel. Later rinse it with warm water and dry it well.
- Use a pressure washer with the lowest pressure setting to clean the Solar Lights. While doing so, make sure you keep the nozzle at least 12 inches away from the solar panel.
- Use a glass cleaner to clean the Solar light effectively.
Cleaning Solar Lights with Toothpaste- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is Toothpaste safe to use on solar lights?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to use Toothpaste for cleaning solar lights. The mild abrasives in Toothpaste effectively remove dirt and grime, however, without damaging the panels.
- Can any type of Toothpaste be used to clean solar lights?
No, it is better to use regular white Toothpaste for cleaning Solar lights. In contrast, avoid gel-based Toothpaste or ones that are highly abrasive.
- Can I clean the entire solar light with Toothpaste?
No, it is best to use Toothpaste for cleaning the Solar panel and the light screen only. For other parts, Toothpaste can be too abrasive.
- How often should I clean my solar lights?
Clean your Solar lights every 3 to 4 months to ensure they are in good working order. However, in an area with heavy rainfall, snow, or wind, more frequent cleaning sessions may be required.
- Is it necessary to detach the solar panel before cleaning it?
Yes, detach the solar panel from the light before cleaning. Doing so is important to avoid damaging other parts of the light.
- Can Toothpaste damage solar panels?
Toothpaste contains mild abrasives, and it is gentle enough to clean solar panels. However, cleaning Solar panels/ lights with too much pressure can be damaging.
Solar lights are an integral and affordable part of our outdoor lighting setup, but they are prone to getting dirty soon. However, with Toothpaste and other cleaning DIYs, you can keep your Solar light clean, dirt free and ensure that it is working effectively.
Hi, This is Lyn, I suffer from dental sensitivity for a very long time. PowerToothpaste.com is where I share my views of various toothpaste brands, along with tips on how to use toothpaste and what to look for when purchasing.